Saturday, September 19, 2009

Sent by the Father

Digging through some old papers, I found the first homily I ever gave as a deacon way back on April 24, 1991.


The Christology of the gospel of John depicts Jesus as the One sent by the Father. Jesus' identity and self-consciousness revolve around the mission the Father has given him to save the world. He makes real the Father's presence in the world such that he can claim: "Whoever puts faith in me believes not so much in me as in him who sent me, and whoever looks on me is seeing him who sent me" (John 12: 44-45).

The identity of the early disciples revolved around the same concept. Just as the Father had sent Jesus into the world, so Jesus sent his disciples to preach the good news of salvation in his name. In fact, the Greek word, apostolos, which came to designate those disciples closest to Jesus, derives from the verb, apostellein, meaning "to send". Throughout the Acts of the Apostles the disciples are presented not only as witnesses to the resurrection but, by means of the miracles they perform, they are shown to continue the salvific ministry of Jesus. Saint Paul captures this self-understanding of the early Christian community in his second letter to the Corinthians: "We are ambassadors for Christ; God making his appeal through us" (2 Cor.5:20). They understood themselves as a continuation in history of the saving presence of Jesus in the world. So it is that Jesus says: "I solemnly assure you, he who accepts anyone I send accepts me, and in accepting me, accepts Him who sent me" (Jn.13: 20).

Brothers, in the light of the word we have heard proclaimed, how are we to understand our own identity as men called to priesthood? In the word we are preparing to proclaim and preach, are we not the instruments through which Jesus contines to appeal to the human heart? In the sacraments we are preparing to celebrate, are we not continuing Jesus' healing activity among his people? Even now, are we not called to make real to everyone we come into contact with the love of Jesus who lived and died for us?

The effectiveness of our lives and our testimony is guaranteed by Jesus' promise to accompany us in our Christian lives. Christ makes an appeal to the world through us. It is Jesus himself whom people hear and see in us. And who can remain indifferent before the appeal of Jesus?

No comments: