Saturday, March 19, 2011

Happy Patron Saint of Fathers Day

Every retreat I go on, I am saddened by the number of young people who feel let down by their fathers. Well, besides being patron saint of the Church, the unborn, workers, and fathers, Saint Joseph is also an intercessor for the fatherless. I found this beautiful prayer for those who need a father

Saint Joseph, I need a dad.

You know that I don’t have a father. I can’t count on a strong, comforting, and wise guide to protect and care for me.

I feel alone.

Would you be my father? Would you do for me all that you did for Jesus? Would you provide the fathering I never had? Would you prepare me for life, even though I am all grown up? Would you teach me to love Jesus the way you did? Would you provide for me, teaching me how to make my life in this world with dignity, justice and peace? Would you help me have a meaningful life, a depth of soul, and strength of character that would allow me to completely fulfill my life’s mission entrusted to me by God?

I feel now that I am not alone. You are my foster father, given to me by God.

Thank you for hearing my prayer. Amen.

No comments: