Sunday, May 22, 2011

Come, Lord Jesus!


Well, the world didn’t end yesterday.

You know what I say - “Too bad.” You heard me right - “Too bad.”

As a Christian, I want Jesus to come in glory. Our prayer of expectation is “Come, Lord Jesus.” The last book of the Bible, the book of Revelations, ends with these words: “I am coming soon. Come, Lord Jesus!”

For a believer, the end of the world is the coming of the Kingdom of God in its fullness. It is the end of sin and death, the end of bloodshed and oppression, the end of poverty and want.

The scary part is that it is also the coming of Judgement. If we are not ready, then I suppose there is cause for fear. All of us will be caught off guard by Christ’s coming. It will take place at a date and time and in a way that we cannot know or even begin to imagine. But if we have been vigilant as he warned us to be and faithful to his commandments, we should be found worthy to take part in the supper of the Lamb.

In this Sunday’s gospel, Jesus offers some comforting words: “Do not let your hearts be troubled....I am going to prepare a place for you. And then I will come and take you with me.”

In my job, I have the opportunity to inspect some impressive, multi-million dollar homes. Many of them offer panoramic ocean views, are arrayed with granite counter tops, brushed nickle fixtures and stainless steel appliances. They offer luxurious amenities such as whirlpool tubs, expansive mahogany decking, inground pools and marble fireplaces. But none of those homes is as impressive or as glorious as the place Jesus is preparing for me in heaven. So, of course, I am anxious to get there!

So too bad the world didn’t end yesterday. But it will end soon. As crazy as all this talk of the end of the world has been, it has reminded me to keep vigilant and to look forward in joyful expectation for Christ’s return in glory.

Come, Lord Jesus!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

AMEN