Friday, November 21, 2008

Just in time for the holidays

I found this prayer at http://www.catholicdoors.com




Holy Spirit, I want to lose weight,
but I keep on eating, and eating.
Help me to understand myself.
Why do I eat when I am not hungry?
What is it that I am trying to satisfy or fill up?
My need for affection?
My desire to feel full and strong?
Am I confusing a feeling of weakness and inadequacy with hunger?
Do I binge eat in order to smother my anger?
Please Holy Spirit,
give me the peace of heart I need in order to understand me.

And help me to say "no" to myself,
to control my urge to put something in my mouth,
to acquire some self discipline.
Help me to understand that my "no" is really a "yes"
to the person you are calling me to be.
Strengthen me to say "no" to myself and "yes" to You.

Amen.

No comments: